Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forknspring replacement help  (Read 1588 times)

Txsrooster

• Rider
Forknspring replacement help
« on: February 21, 2016, 09:15:24 PM »

I know many have done it, but am curious if someone has the tool and the know how..and maybe willing to assist in trade for beer, wings, burger....and near the Houston/Galveston area let me know. I will be ordering progressives as soon as I know someone can assist.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Forknspring replacement help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:23:15 AM »

Well looks like we need a good ole tech session :thumbup:

I am open the weekend of the 5th, I will host or SteveS will host working with him on that right now.
One of us will post up with the when and where details, y'all get ready to get everything you need while the getting is good :c :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:32:23 AM »

I would like to make it but will be teaching that weekend, I have 3/19 open but don't wait on me.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Txsrooster

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:57 AM »

Sweet...will be there.
I will order the springs today and the fork oil.

Any recommendations as to which oil?  I want the good stuff and will buy enough and share.

Also any other items for the shopping list?

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:05 AM »

Sweet...will be there.
I will order the springs today and the fork oil.

Any recommendations as to which oil?  I want the good stuff and will buy enough and share.

Also any other items for the shopping list?

I would venture to say that the heavier the weight the better but that all depends on your riding comfort.  At any rate it would be marginal.  Get the heavy weight stuff that HOnda makes because these bikes are heavy anyways. 

Go ahead and get yourself some new rear shock bushings.

Brake pads good?

"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Tech Session
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »

So I guess we need to know who needs work, what type work, and last what date works for everyone to set the date in stone.
I am open to any weekend except next weekend, got to get them taxes done ::)

As far as fork oil, what you don't want to do is mix oil. Txsrooster 1300 or 1800?
A good 10w synthetic fork oil (AmsOil, Red Line, Bel-Ray, etc... ) is your best insurance for restoring the best possible life and handling characteristics from your forks.

I have never replaced my springs myself, but sure we can find someone who has done it before, if not there's always BareassChopper http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/suspension/fork-spring-replacement-vtx-1800/

\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Txsrooster

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »

I have a 07 1800T

I have read through the process on Bareasschoppers and I plan to print the instructions, and feel fairly confident in the process..but the special spring tool thingy is a bit of a road block.

Brake pads are good, only other thing is I want to swap the 1800 final drive with a 1300.  I have the 1300 FD already but that may be more than I can handle in a day.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »

I have a 07 1800T

I have read through the process on Bareasschoppers and I plan to print the instructions, and feel fairly confident in the process..but the special spring tool thingy is a bit of a road block.

Brake pads are good, only other thing is I want to swap the 1800 final drive with a 1300.  I have the 1300 FD already but that may be more than I can handle in a day.

Tool thingy not a problem, can always barrow one from another member. Can all be done in a day.

diverg

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:13 AM »

Going on the assumption a bike is all stock, could a list of all recommended changes be made in order of priority. Obvious maintenance need not be included in this list.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »

De-smog helps with getting to valves when its time. Will need to order block off playes.

diverg

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »

So how much work can get done during a tech session? I would like to get as much stuff done as possible. Which probably isn't that much due to budget for parts. Definitely would like to get my fairing and radio installed, steering bearings replaced for sure. I really do not know what has all been done to my bike other then it has a hypercharger(don't like). The guy I bought it from told me there was a wobble that he took care of before I bought it, but I do not know if he replaced the steering bearings or something else.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal