Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First pic and first question  (Read 881 times)

nv-me10

• Trailer Queen
First pic and first question
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »

Well I am proud to say I picked up my first VTX the other day. It is a 02 VTX1800c, I am super excited to enjoy and learn about it. However with any used pick up there is bound to be some questions about previous owners work. While extracting some not so nice LED wiring I found another random wire running to the headlight. Below is a pic of the bike and a couple of the headlight wire.

Purple w/ white stripe wire is cut, then new wire is ran from harness down the right side of the tank and tapped in to the black w/ red stripe wire running into small fuse box. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:17:17 AM by nv-me10 »

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: First pic and first question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »

Can help you on what those wires, but congratulations on the VTX.  You just got a super solid bike.  It definitely won't hurt to go over everything and lube anything that needs it. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:34:40 AM »

You have to expect some wiring issues...especially with a used bike.  my 06 had a aftermarket light bar added by previous owner..and the wiring in the headlight was less than spec.  I would suggest you get a Clymer's Manual on your bike...in the back is a wiring diagram...should help you gauge the integrity of your wiring.  Or I'm sure you can find it online as well.
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

nv-me10

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »

Thanks. Yeah I can see how to remove what he had done and get it back to OEM spec, just not sure WHY it was done lol.

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »

It only speculation but some have been know to wire a light bar direct so they can by pass and run their hi beam and light bar at the same time. If everything is working properly tape it up and ride the crap out of it. Congrats on the new bike
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:45:32 AM »

Ever figure this one out?
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal