Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electrical/ground vtx problems  (Read 382 times)

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Electrical/ground vtx problems
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »

Ok, we ALL know that the grounding or bad connections can cause many types of problems. Been reading about them for years. I did my grinding of paint under the coil frames, ground to frame connection etc to get the paint out of the way. I tighten my Battery nuts so they won't come loose.
Here is a new one! After replacing my original  battery at about seven years of age, I tightened that bugger down good, and forgot about it. This spring, I had a new problem arise I had never had before. The bike started not starting when the button was pushed. It would crank, but not start. And when you tried to hold it down (the button), All power (headlight too) disapeared, until you turned the ignition off and on, and back through the chain of events it would go again, ocassionaly starting after playing with it a minute or two. It started this on a ride to silena to meet and greet for lunch one Saturday. Did it all the way back.
   When I got home, I immediately checked the battery cables. Tight! I use a tractor starter button instead of that pos starter button by honda, checked all wiring... no problems. Decided to isolate the battery to load test it as it is now about five years old.......And there under the tight bolt on the positive side:............some kind of sulfate or something (white, corrosion) between the cable and the battery terminal. The battery had been growing this electrical cancer for the last five years!
   The moral (don't laugh cause I use the moral word ;D) of the story is: If you suspect the problem is electrical and the battery post being loose is a posssible culprit...Don't give up on that idea just cause the bolts are tight....insidious corrosive slime may have developed in between. I was sure that battery connection was what was loose till I found the bolts tight....Didn't revisit the battery until after I had wasted a lot of time checking everything else, and finally returned to the scene of the crime!

SSSSSSSssssnake
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: Electrical/ground vtx problems
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »

I have seen similar situations on cars. The crap grows between the post and cable and won't let the alternator charge the battery.
It's all just part of the adventure!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal