Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: key mod  (Read 2339 times)

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
key mod
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:10:04 PM »

I used the end cap off the throttle side of my factory grips. http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/5595my_key_mod-med.JPG
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

Dusty

Re: key mod
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 05:47:01 AM »

I used the end cap off the throttle side of my factory grips. http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/5595my_key_mod-med.JPG

Good idea Randy,
I had bought one that a fellow vtxer was selling. It's really cool looking, but I have issues with it and stopped using it. Mine will not unlock the gas cap, so I have to dig a regular key out of my pocket anyway to gas up. The other problem I had is even though I epoxied the key stem in the cap and tightened the set screw. It still would get loose after a few rides. I developed a fear of pulling the cap off and the stem staying in the ignition. Plus, there is no comfortable way to carry that thing in your pocket. It is a great mod for looks and rides that involve lots of starts and stops.
How did you fasten the key stem to the end cap? I'm fixing to have a coupl extra end caps and would like to try your idea.

bgreer

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 05:08:36 PM »

fixed the pic, Randy

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:26:47 AM »

I've seen some that use the chrome, radio knobs from a GoldWing. Hmmm, BIGA, when are we getting together on a ride. ;)
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »

Fill the end cap with JB Weld Quick. Just hold it and will set pretty fast. 8)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »

I used the Devcon clear epoxy,and it was pretty slow drying. I also had to use the dremel and cut down the cap so it would work on the gas cap.
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

Roller

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:32:48 AM »

I did the same thing not long ago, and I like the results.  I did have a problem with the gas cap thing though.  I carry house keys anyways, so I just put my extra key on the ring (didn't do it before because I didn't use the key ring with the starter key) and clip the ring to a belt loop. 
The down side is that I parked it at work and some buds from work were checking it out and realized that the key was in the starter, behind the cap.  Well, I'm in the office and I hear what sounds like a big 8 revving it's engine next door.  Don't think much about it.  Then, my buds come in and tell me they found the key and thought my bike sounded real good.  They had enough snap not to ride it, just twist the throttle a few times.  It's in a fenced secure area that is not accesible to the public, but not secure from friends.  I'll pull the key from now on.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal