« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »

ah shucks
  I just want to get rid of that tr. qn. thing

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
Re: DESMOG
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 01:22:26 PM »

You can ride a bike 10 zillion miles but trailer it ONE time and you are a Trailer Queen forever!!!!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Tapper

• Jakeleg
  • Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 01:40:26 PM »

Taking it off has no effect on horsepower at all.  But it does indeed help reduce the backfiring, and also improves the sound of the exhaust.  And yes, it cleans up the top of the jugs, and makes it much easier to do valve jobs and other maintenance or repair work.

I've had two or three dozen guys come in with a backfire problem, and fixing it always involves the same thing:

1. Turn the throttle all the way closed when you decelerate.
2. Remove pair valve
3. Use a fuel controller to richen the mix a little in the idle range to lessen lean overrun, or even better, install a PC3 and get a custom map made for your bike.

#3 isn't always needed.  Some bikes do, some don't.  Some exhaust systems provoke backfire more than others.

Be warned - a few of the maps people are circulating around attempt to fix the backfire by drowning the cylinder in gas - to the point combustion is extinquished.  Bad idea.
Yeah, that Tapper.

Dusty

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »

Taking it off has no effect on horsepower at all.  But it does indeed help reduce the backfiring, and also improves the sound of the exhaust.  And yes, it cleans up the top of the jugs, and makes it much easier to do valve jobs and other maintenance or repair work.

I've had two or three dozen guys come in with a backfire problem, and fixing it always involves the same thing:

2. Remove pair valve
3. Use a fuel controller to richen the mix a little in the idle range to lessen lean overrun, or even better, install a PC3 and get a custom map made for your bike.

#3 isn't always needed.  Some bikes do, some don't.  Some exhaust systems provoke backfire more than others.

Be warned - a few of the maps people are circulating around attempt to fix the backfire by drowning the cylinder in gas - to the point combustion is extinquished.  Bad idea.

Tapper,

My bike has decel popped/backfired since shortly after being brand new and stock until today with desmog, GP blank off plates and vance and Hines big shots.The PC3 sitting in the living room hasn't help it either. That's next.
My deal is I sort of like the sound of a slight decel pop. Reminds me of riding with my big brother in his 69 ford pick-up with a tee welded in the exhaust and the cap off. Does the decel pop hurt anything?
I'm going to do the PC3 anyway for gas efficeincy and performance but I wanted to wait until I could get a dyno along with the install. Havn't seen where Johnny Cheese is back in business so I guess I'll take it to LAKE CHARLES after the rally.

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 06:53:25 PM »

2. Remove pair valve

Tapper,

My bike has decel popped/backfired since shortly after being brand new and stock until today with desmog, GP blank off plates and vance and Hines big shots.The PC3 sitting in the living room hasn't help it either. That's next.
My deal is I sort of like the sound of a slight decel pop. Reminds me of riding with my big brother in his 69 ford pick-up with a tee welded in the exhaust and the cap off. Does the decel pop hurt anything?
I'm going to do the PC3 anyway for gas efficeincy and performance but I wanted to wait until I could get a dyno along with the install. Havn't seen where Johnny Cheese is back in business so I guess I'll take it to LAKE CHARLES after the rally.

I'm no mech, but had the desmog done - changed the breather, added Muzzies, haven't added the fuel mgt at this time but I'm like Dusty.  I like the slight amount of popping I get - it isn't much and kinda sounds like a big cat snarling.  I had heard that it wouldn't hurt but would be interested in the answer to that one.

Tapper

• Jakeleg
  • Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 06:53:49 PM »

I sure wish Johnny would check in and catch us up.  Haven't heard boo from him in quite a while...
Yeah, that Tapper.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2006, 08:05:02 AM »

I sure wish Johnny would check in and catch us up.  Haven't heard boo from him in quite a while...

Someone has been in touch with Johnny.  As I understand it, he is working on some construction project for the next couple of months.  Perhaps building his shop?

Hopefully someone with more recent contact will post an update.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!
Pages: 1 2 [3]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal