Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tighten mirrors?  (Read 1928 times)

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
tighten mirrors?
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »

Hi y'all! It's been a while...sorry for being gone for so long.    :c

QUESTION: Is there a way to tighten the joint where the mirror is mounted to it's stand? Mine seem to work fine until I get out on the highway. Then they're pushed so far down, they're useless.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: tighten mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »

Kinda confusing on what your talking about.
I know there are two adjustments on the mirrors, one at the handlebar and the other by the mirror. You use two wrenches to tighten them up on each side, top and bottom. Maybe this will help.
 Have a pic on what your talking about?   
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »

Chad,

I believe he is talking about where the mirror rotates on the swivel ball in the back of the mirror.  :thumbup:

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:46:47 AM »

Went back and re-read what I typed. Didn't make sense to me either.  ???

Yeah...what HeadGuess said. Basically the wind pushes on the backside of the mirror and causes it to angle so far down that it's useless. Is there a way to tighten that up so it'll stay put? I looked at that ball joint and didn't see any adjustments externally. Maybe something inside the mirror housing?

Thought I'd ask before digging into something for no reason.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »

Went back and re-read what I typed. Didn't make sense to me either.  ???

Yeah...what HeadGuess said. Basically the wind pushes on the backside of the mirror and causes it to angle so far down that it's useless. Is there a way to tighten that up so it'll stay put? I looked at that ball joint and didn't see any adjustments externally. Maybe something inside the mirror housing?

Thought I'd ask before digging into something for no reason.
You have the oval ones or the rectangle?
Member since 2004

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »

Rectangle

'03 1300S

dkjsr49

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »

You might try painting a bit of clear touch up paint around the joint. That should do the trick.

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »

I decided to take the mirror out of the housing to see what was inside and I'm glad I did. The joint is held together with a spring over a threaded bolt and a 10mm nut to adjust the spring load. A simple twist and I'm good to go! 

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »

Cool!!   :thumbup:
And I bet you feel great knowing you solved the problem by yourself!!
GOOD JOB!  8)
Member since 2004

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »

Chad
is that your way of saying thanks for the info?

:stickpoke:

J/K that's great info. Good Job B-rad
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »

So how did you get the mirror out of the housing and back in without doing any damage  ??? ??? :idontknow:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »

The black rubber trim around the mirror is actually a "case" (per say) that not only surrounds the mirror edge but also covers the entire back. This entire assembly can be easily removed by inserting a thin flat blade (butter knife) between the rubber case and the metal housing and slowly moving around the edge to pry the rubber case house. To reinsert, press the butter knife in the opposite direction to flex the housing outward while pressing the mirror/case assembly back in.

I did this to both my mirrors and never felt like the mirror glass was at risk of breaking.

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »

I decided to take the mirror out of the housing to see what was inside and I'm glad I did. The joint is held together with a spring over a threaded bolt and a 10mm nut to adjust the spring load. A simple twist and I'm good to go! 

That was outstanding, I always wondered how to do that!!!!!!!!!!!

:couch:
AKA: Vteeman on the VTXOA Site (Seldom seen there anymore)
2002 VTX 1800 C (Gone but not forgotten)
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »

Don't come here asking your questions and then answering/figuring them out yourself, heh! :stickpoke: You're stealing our thunder.  :notworthy:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »

The black rubber trim around the mirror is actually a "case" (per say) that not only surrounds the mirror edge but also covers the entire back. This entire assembly can be easily removed by inserting a thin flat blade (butter knife) between the rubber case and the metal housing and slowly moving around the edge to pry the rubber case house. To reinsert, press the butter knife in the opposite direction to flex the housing outward while pressing the mirror/case assembly back in.

I did this to both my mirrors and never felt like the mirror glass was at risk of breaking.

Who'd ever thunk --- thanks again, I have one mirror that needs this adjustment  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal