Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Noise Laws Could Muffle Motorcycle Sales"  (Read 4341 times)

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S

N5TWL

• Master Tejano Rider
  • If it hurts when you do that don't do that!
Re: "Noise Laws Could Muffle Motorcycle Sales"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »

This sucks, I bet accidents with motorcycles will go up. Load pipes save lives.
MPM
2011 Harley Street Glide, Sedona Orange, Ken Smith pinstriping.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »

I suppose the "loud pipes save lives" crowd believes the statement... but this is also where the current topic arises from.
The statement in the article:"From our perspective, this creates enormous problems for us because people notice the one motorcycle that makes a lot of noise," said Bill Wood, spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association. "They don't notice the 50 that pass that don't. So there's a perception that motorcycles are noisy"; is a bunch of bull. The quiet motorcycles are the one motorcycle in 50. That is why the regulations are flying, because the "loud pipes save lives" crowd  blast their way through traffic, threatening the eardrums of the poor motorist with their windows down, and startling the drivers that didn't notice them coming, making babies cry and drivers flinch away from the passing M/C. And the people next door or down the street that are awakened everytime you leave early or arrive home late with your fire breathing dragon.
Do you expect people to forget the fact that  a large group of M/C's will come to an intersection and illegally block an intersection till all the bikes have gone through, and they have had to wait?
And, forget the fact that you have large groups of M/C's slowing traffic and faster traffic having to slow down and not be able to pass a large string of M/C because they'd be in the passing lane for a minute or better to be able to reach the front of the motorcycle "pack" so they could re-enter the lane...when you startle, scare, or make a motorist flinch at the "sudden appearance" of a screaming, roaring motorcycle that has suddenly materialized right next to their window, you're gonna' piss them off at the least. If they happen to be people that are or know who to contact to get something done about it...they will. I, as a rider, am still annoyed when a baffless or might as well be a baffleless motorcycle shatters the peace while sitting at an outside eating or drinking establishment. I know how non riders feel. Loud pipes MAY save lives...but you'd serve the motorcycle community a whole lot better if you'd hone you're riding skills and pay attention instead of trying to scare everyone away from you with loud pipes!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »

Thank you John. Driving intelligently saves lives. Loud pipes piss people off. People buy motorcycles for a lot of reasons, but I think that two of the biggest ones are so that they can dress up like pirates and so they can make a lot of noise. I find it really absurd that so many motorcycles are louder than a V-8 automobile with illegal exhausts. And the constant references to "setting off car alarms" hurts us all -- you think the people pushing these laws don't read these motorcycle forums and present such nonsense as the norm? I like a good-sounding set of pipes as much as anyone, but it's about the tone, not the volume.

I really get tickled when I hear "It's my right." It's not your right; it has been illegal for years. The reason it's been illegal for years is because so many inconsiderate, immature jerks insist on scaring and annoying people so they can play "Billy Badass Outlaw Biker" or compensate for their perceived sexual inadequacies. Those of you who cry that only loud pipes can make the motorcycling world safe remind me of Hillary the Hun; loudly proclaiming that only her 'common sense gun control' laws can make the world safe. Both premises have been proven wrong over and over, but their proponents refuse to accept facts and continue to try to force their skewed standards on the rest of the world. Spouting that loud pipes save lives merely shows people with a modicum of intelligence that you are either incapable of logical reasoning or you are a sheep blindly following your 'loud pipes' guru.
02 1800C

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:33:03 AM »

Quote from: Wooderson
Man, it's the same bs they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what you want to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »

Dress up like a pirate!!! Arrrrr.

tbizzle

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »

I just like loud pipes whether they save lives or not. ???

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »

I've been quiet, and I've been loud.  Loud is better.   I try not to be obnoxious with it.

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 10:21:50 AM »

_In Lancaster, Pa., starting this month riders -- and all motor vehicle drivers -- could be ticketed for drawing attention to themselves, whether by creating too much noise by revving their engines or doing hard accelerations. Tickets start at $150.

Now that seems sensible.  They recognize the difference between a bike with loud pipes, and somebody who's just trying to be obnoxious.

bIgPrO

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Houston, South Side
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »

_In Lancaster, Pa., starting this month riders -- and all motor vehicle drivers -- could be ticketed for drawing attention to themselves, whether by creating too much noise by revving their engines or doing hard accelerations. Tickets start at $150.

Now that seems sensible.  They recognize the difference between a bike with loud pipes, and somebody who's just trying to be obnoxious.

I agree. I hate people that rev their engines while driving thru an underpass or driving by  group people. Do they actually know how stupid they look....  Well answer TXCajun & Sgt Stever ;D ;D ;D
Bigbear
NO X :(

07 Big Bear Chopper
300 rear tire, 44 degree rake,
S&S 100 Smooth,BBC Tornado Air Kit,V-Twin Pirate footpegs, 191/4 seat height

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 05:17:10 PM »

_As of July 1, riders in New York City are subject to a minimum $440 fine for having a muffler or exhaust system that can be heard within 200 feet.

Huh?  2 feet is "within" 200 feet.  So you can be fined if someone hears your motorcycle 2 feet away?
My now long gone VTX...

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 07:28:24 PM »

I like my loud pipes. If I wanted a quiet bike I would have bought a rebel

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »

_As of July 1, riders in New York City are subject to a minimum $440 fine for having a muffler or exhaust system that can be heard within 200 feet.

Huh?  2 feet is "within" 200 feet.  So you can be fined if someone hears your motorcycle 2 feet away?

So , conversely, if you can hear me 201 feet away, I must be legal...   You should've been a lawyer, Morgan.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 06:54:26 AM »

That's what I'm getting at bro.  Woot!  Rev it up!
My now long gone VTX...

Dusty

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 07:36:49 AM »

I attended a C.O.C. meeting yesterday and they hit on this a little. Their biggest complaint was the citations being issued without proof (a measurement of decibels) of how noisy the pipes are and what the bench mark for too noisy is.

Another concern along the same lines was an increase in citations for not wearing a helmet. Specifically in the DFW area. Apparently if you don't have the proper amount/type of medical coverage (yes, this means you have to carry your declaration page) on your insurance and you have a non-helmeted passenger, you can be issued a citation for that person not wearing a helmet.

I don't know if their particular statistics were based on just Club member stops or motorcyclist stops in general. I guess it could be a case of a few officers just wanting to harass MC club members. There was mention of people being stopped, held for as long as 2 hours and then given a verbal warning and released so that there was no record of the stop.

There's two sides to every story.

Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal