Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "And Now You Know the Rest of the Story"  (Read 4110 times)

Pug

• Old Timer
"And Now You Know the Rest of the Story"
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

It’s been almost a year since a series of challenges led me to sell the Wing and then, ultimately, the viXen. Frankly, I thought that I might not straddle two wheels for some time (to be honest, if ever).
· It began with my wife’s diagnosis in 2008 with lymphoma and the surgery that led to her leaving her profession (she is a licensed state diagnostician and a TX teacher with 2 masters degrees and nearly 30 years of experience in the classroom).
· Right after her surgery (from which she finally fully recovered), the financial crash occurred and TX school funding tanked. She joined the every-growing ranks of "formerly employed" teachers. Things got tough. I sold the Wing.
· After two years without her income we faced the decision (2010) of whether to bring our soldier-son home for his recovery and physical therapy after a parachute accident or leave him in the hands of the VA (like that was a choice). He came home in February of this year, and I built a gym in the living room to facilitate his recovery – (http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295029). I sold the viXen and gear.
· Our son got back on his feet in late April. Since then he has completed three half-marathons and shipped out (back to Ft. Benning in August) with full medical clearance. His first PT score at Benning after his recovery was 263/300 – even with nine screws and a titanium rod in his leg.
· In May (ironically enough, two weeks before her first job offer in almost three years – a local teaching position was to begin in August) my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 bilateral ductal, lobular, invasive, inflammatory breast cancer – and our battle there is ongoing (www.CaringBridge.com/visit/elaineray/). Life got tougher.
· In the interim (between 2008 and the present) we have dealt with three “no fault” auto accidents, two surgeries (both my wife and our daughter), some major uninsured home repairs and a 2008 salary freeze that is still in effect.

Thanks to this forum I sold the viXen, a huge load of cycle accessories and all of my gear. I liquidated “the toy closet” of just about everything except my golf clubs (couldn’t get what they were worth so I kept them). And I figured that was the end of that – until…

Two weeks ago my b’loved asked me if I missed riding. I laughed and told her that I was content with my hobbies (which are [1] working from home and [2] taking care of her). We talked at some length and then she made a request that floored me. Given that she will be home-bound for the better part of the next year, she suggested that I consider selling or trading my 15-year-old (great shape) sedan for a new-2-me VTX and use her car for a while (she’s just begun a second 3-month chemo regimen, will have additional radiation for 7 weeks after that and will have a debilitating reconstructive surgery in March of 2012).

Well, Craigslist here I come…and whadda ya know… The Pug is baaaaacccck!

Today, I took delivery of a 2008 (purchased new in June of last year) VTX1800T.  Dubbed the MistreX she has 7K miles, and is fairly well equipped (tastefully farkled with crash bars, V&H pipes, pegs, grips, cruise, hard bags, and a sprinkling of chrome—though there is always room for more). She has almost 4 more years of extended factory warranty and is sitting in my garage with a clear title in the name of one PUGnacious new owner!

Moral of the story? Life is tough (sometimes mercilessly), but God is good. And I’m back in the saddle (a matched Mustang saddle set no less) again. Happy day.

Time for pie…
 :c
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: "And Now You Know the Rest of the Story"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »

Gland your back  :thumbup:
Great story, best wishes for your wife and you, keep the faith.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »

Hey Pug good to hear from you. Have wondered how things have been for you all.
Your family will be in our prayers. Hopefully see ya on the rode!  :thumbup:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »

Glad to hear you're back on the road.  We all have our tough times at different times, what makes it outstanding is pulling thru.   :boxing:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »

Thank you for that great story!  Y'all are in our prayers.  Hang tough and ride safe!  :thumbup:
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »

Great story and hope everything will go well with the wife.
Alvin,Texas

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »

Great Life Story!  Thanks!
Congrats on the new Bike.   :c

I think every time I got on it I would say "GOD is GREAT"!
 :thumbup:

God Bless!
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:42:12 AM »

Glad to see you are back.......God put these things in front of you and you were able to handle them well.

You not only have a good life but you have a wonderful fantastic loving wife.

May all go well for her and I will have y'all in my Prayers.

Ride Safe and Have Fun...........
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 05:43:27 AM »

HEY!  That's just AWESOME news, Pug!  So glad to hear it!
My now long gone VTX...

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:31:46 AM »

WOW, your family are some real tough folks! Congrats on the new ride and continued prayers for strength for your family. Welcome back Pug.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »

All I can say is just repeats of what everyone else has said...but I don' think to much Thanks can every be offered.  You are truly a blessed family as is evidenced by the fact that no matter what hardships have come your way, you have all overcome.  May healthy, happiness and blessings continue in your life.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »

Lets see some pictures of that scoot.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »

I too had wondered how things were going and as so many others have had a run of trying times also but it sure sounds as if y'all have had more than your share and then some. It's great news about about the bike and the story behind the love your wife has shown in return but the best news is, there seems to be a bright light at the end of y'alls tunnel. Keep the faith and remember there's lots of us out here that are standing with ya.  :congrats:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »

Sorry to hear of all the troubles. Glad you are back on two wheels. Sounds like Elaine is a special lady.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »

Congrats on the new scoot. Great story.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal