Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to remove factory handlebar grips?  (Read 2836 times)

TXEric

How to remove factory handlebar grips?
« on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »

I got my Kuryakyns in the mail but am unsure how to remove the original grips from my 05 VTX 1800 R S2

Thanks for your help!

wearevenom2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Garland Tx
    • myspace
Re: How to remove factory handlebar grips?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 05:03:04 PM »

use a razor and cut straight across the rubber part then pull them off easy stuff O0

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 06:42:43 PM »

if you want to save the stock grips try this. the throttle side end cap unscrews while the clutch side has to be pried off. take a fine blade screwdriver and wedge it between the cap and rubber grip and pull away from the grip, it should pop out. mine had a little grip glue on it so it was a little tough to pull off. after you have the caps off, i took a 6 inch flat head screwdriver and sprayed some wd-40 on it and slid it up under the grip and worked it around. once far enough in just spray a little more wd-40 as you work the screwdriver around the grip. as you work around the grip constantly pull slightly on the grip until it breaks loose. just take your time, practice this procedure on the clutch side first as it is glued directly to the bars, the throttle side is glued to the throttle sleeve, don't want to mess up the throttle sleeve. it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. by doing this, just in case something happens to the kuryakans you have some backups. BTW, before you install the new grips, test fit them on the bars. in other words, put them on and sit on the bike and determine were they feel the best to your hands. once you put the glue on you don't have much time to adjust them. good luck.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »

ditto on saving the grips if you can. I believe Hipshot used air pressure form a compressor to take mine off. He'll have to tell you exactly how. About a month later we put the stock grip on my son's bike as it had a little incident. From what I can tell anytime a bike takes a little slide the grips are going to show some wear on the ends, and its one thing you can always see, it will annoy you.

sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

TXEric

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »

Thank you for the tips.
I got the throttle side off with minimal cuts to my fingers.

The Kuryakyn instructions tell me to be careful if my bike had an open end throttle sleeve. How do I tell if my VTX 1800 R has an open or closed end throttle sleeve?

I await patiently in my garage.....

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:09:05 PM »

look where you unscrewed the end cap from, if you can see the bars inside it is as an open ended throttle sleeve. you don't want to get glue inside because if you did you would glue the throttle to the bars-not good! to be honest i'm not sure if it's open or not, never did check when i did mine. good luck.

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:17:14 PM »

+1 Just glue the outside of the throttle. Do not remember on mine, just make sure the grips are glued to the outside of the throttle only.

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

TXEric

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 08:24:10 PM »

Thanks guys. Crewsn, next time I am in Austin can I buy you a beer?

RedDragon

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 08:35:38 PM »

Don't know about Crewsn,   >:( but the next time your in houston you can by me a beer. Yeah he was a little more helpful.  O0 But most of us if you buy us a beer we will return the favor. O0

Buy the way Crewsn, I know you pretty much have the same set up as I do and I don't know if you have had yours mapped, but you are welcome to mine if you like. Just let me know and I can email it to you.

David

Might not be as good as the one that comes out of Louisiana though.  ::)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:43:02 PM by RedDragon »

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

TXEric

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 09:21:29 PM »

Well they are on, including the Throttle Rocket II and they look and feel great!

Thanks for your help!

I would buy you a beer but I am rarely in Houston. Sorry dude.

Thank God everyday.  I do.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »

just name the time and place and i'll make sure i'm thirsty when i get there. O0 ;D
glad to read you got 'em on. you'll like the feel and the ride, they cut down alot on vibrations.

Buy the way Crewsn, I know you pretty much have the same set up as I do and I don't know if you have had yours mapped, but you are welcome to mine if you like. Just let me know and I can email it to you.

David

Might not be as good as the one that comes out of Louisiana though.  ::)

think i might take you up on that offer, i'll shoot you a PM with my e-mail address.
i'd be willing to bet that it's at the very least as good if not better. plus it so much quicker to see JC.  O0 ;)

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:33:30 PM »

I didn't help you out but if your ever north of Hillsboro, hell I'm always thirsty
 O0 ;D O0 ;D O0 ;D :D O0 ;D
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal