Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Travel tips and gear  (Read 2076 times)

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
Travel tips and gear
« on: June 04, 2006, 06:15:04 PM »

Summer's here,(not that that's a big deal in Texas) and vacations are going to be in full swing. The ROT Rally in Austin just ended, but the calender is full with more rally's and I'm sure many trips are planned.
Several of us are getting ready to head to Colorado the last week in June, for the nationwide VTX Rally. After doing the 9 day RAT Ride, I found out, I wanted to revamp my travel luggage. For those of you that have traveled overnite on bikes with me, you know that I consider myself a minimalist. My bike, a 1800C is set up as a Pro Street model, solo seat, no bags, no windshield. I like to travel as light as I can, but still smell half way decent. ;)
In keeping with the spirit of travel in mind, I thought it might be a great idea if everyone could share some of their "travel tips". ie..What type of  bags do you like. What neat little trinket did you find, that you can't do without. For the camper's, what's a good tent that's compact, and carries easily. If it's a product that has a web link, be sure to include it. A picture's worth a thousand words.

I posted this some time ago, but, it's the most important travel tip I can think of.

http://www.cyclegear.com/lpgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=INN_3518

I've used it twice for my bike, and once for Quicksilver, when we were on the RAT Ride. Think about it. We don't always ride in the city, or even on a major highway. I've been in area's of the state that have no cell service, or people, for miles, and miles. How much would you pay to have someone fix your flat, when you're 100 miles from home, and it's 7:45PM on a Sunday evening? This is the style that I have, and it fits snuggly under my right side cover, so if you have a C model, you've already got a "glove box".
Snake and I compared notes, and he has another model, that has worked well for him. Hopefully he'll share.

Ride safe.

RD
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
Re: Travel tips and gear
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 08:18:41 PM »

Well, lets see, where do I start?  Too many things to list, but can say one thing for sure, the tire repair kit isn't worth 2 cents if your tire breaks lose from rim. If that hasn't happened, then just having the plug and a way to get some air in tire is worth more than we can say.  I have the plug kit and instead of Co2 cartridges I have a small compressor with the alligator clips.  It's easy to get to positive post on battery from left side cover and can be grounded on frame or any metal close by.  Has the connection like the cigarette lighter so other things could be plugged in if necessary.

As far as carrying "stuff", I just bought the leatherlyke bags and have an expandable leather bag.  Not sure of brand but straps on sissy bar by sitting on on passenger seat when traveling solo or put it on luggage rack when traveling 2 up.  Also have an expandable magnetic tank bag to carry all the little stuff (glasses, ibuprofen, rag, ibuprofen, spray cleaner, ibuprofen, etc...) 

One other thing I just added that I was able to put to use this past weekend is the J&M CB radio with intercom and auxiliary for listening to mp3.  Works great and can see where it will work great when traveling with others that have same capability. 

When RD jumps out there and gets that goldwing, he'll see what I'm talking about.

Maw Maw

• Old Timer
  • Liberty Hill, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:07:33 AM »

I found a rellllllllllllly small hair dryer at Target in their luggage department.   :-*  Since we have a trailer that Bubba pulls behind the wing, I don't need to carry much on my bike. O0
Pat
2004 VTX 1300

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:40:48 AM »

I found a rellllllllllllly small hair dryer at Target in their luggage department.   :-*  Since we have a trailer that Bubba pulls behind the wing, I don't need to carry much on my bike. O0
Pat

I have that exact same hair dryer.  ;)

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 07:46:53 AM »

I found a rellllllllllllly small hair dryer at Target in their luggage department.   :-*  Since we have a trailer that Bubba pulls behind the wing, I don't need to carry much on my bike. O0
Pat

;D ;D
04' Honda VTX 1800C

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:21:30 AM »

Pat

Now that's funny ;D ;D ;D O0
Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »

Dusty LOL on the hair dryer!!!!I have the J&M all in one also. Two things you did not mention Tom is the weather chanel it can be a life saver, and in areas where your cell phone won't work, if a truck comes by with a CB you can ask for HELP!!!!!!!I also have a small compressor,and have a pig tail plug dropped on the right side behind the cover that can be accessed for the compressor or for battery charger ------tender, without pulling the seat.Bungi (sp) cords, zip tyes, multi tool, Red Rider multi tool, TEXAS FLAG, extra key, extra credit card, (I let RD carry my cash) and this OLD man carries a box full of meds. OH OH OH and a picture of Harley!!!!   Sun screen, Frogg Toggs, and extra gloves. WITH A MOTORCYCLE WHY DO YOU NEED A HAIR DRYER?????????? :D :D ;D ;D ::) LETS RIDE!!!! O0 O0 O0   CELL PHONE CHARGER!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:02:04 AM by VTreX »
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:41:43 AM »

RD, cyclegear had three tire repair kits, do you know which one you have, I would like to get the larger cylinders?
Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:01:15 AM »

RD, cyclegear had three tire repair kits, do you know which one you have, I would like to get the larger cylinders?

Wayne, the one I have, has two 45gr CO2 cartridges. I asked the Manager of the store how much air is really in there? Since my rear tire is a 200, I need more air. It takes 1 1/2 of the 45's to bring me over 30psi.
I would try to get a much air quantity I could, regardless. If you have a puncture, and lose almost all your air, you'll need to fill up the tire just to find out where the leak is. If it's not obvious. You could burn up a cartridge just doing that. Jerry had some very large cylinders, 75-100grams. Those are good, if you carry bags all the time. Two 45's are the biggest you can have, if you want to put the kit under your side cover.
Hope that helps.
04' Honda VTX 1800C

Maw Maw

• Old Timer
  • Liberty Hill, TX
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 06:28:40 AM »

And just where is the hair you are drying? ;) :-*
Pat

Pat

2004 VTX 1300

Dusty

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:55:11 AM »

And just where is the hair you are drying? ;) :-*
Pat

Pat

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 03:35:15 PM »

tom, where'd you get the air compressor? I need one that is small and clips to the battery.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »

Snake and I compared notes, and he has another model, that has worked well for him. Hopefully he'll share.

Not a big deal, the "budget" model I guess! At Wal Mart in the motorcycle section, its a bell tire inflator, comes with one 16 gm co2 cartridge for $19. A package of three more 16 gm cartridges cost about 9 bucks more . You can use the cheaper B B gun 12 gm cart which come 5 for 3 bucks by dropping a penny into the bottom before you put the cartridge in to take up the slack from the larger cartridge housing.
3/16 gm = 48 gm = $9.00
5/12 gm = 60 gm = $3.00.....HHMMMMMMM
180 gm vs 48 gm for 9.00... no brainer!
Of course, that's if you have room for the extra cartridges. If you're riding a bar hopper like RD does, you'd need to go for the larger, less space consuming, higher dollar cartridges. It takes about 50 gm to air up a rear tire enough to get you to the next service station. Now, if I could just figure out how to refill those cartridges.....J/K!
In my estimation, lacking anything else, a can of fix a flat with the hose type nozzle is better than nothing when in the middle of no where. Used that once.. Lots better than hiking!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:49:17 PM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 09:11:50 PM »

I bought the compressor in a kit on the VTXOA board (Big Bike Auction).  Came in a kit with plugging kit, flashlight and a couple other things.  It's not a cadillac compressor, but it works.  I just looked on the auction board and there's not any there now.  I've seen them in other places, but not sure where.
I'm just thinking that in a bind the compressor will work fine as long as tire is still on rim.  I've already had that experience and you have to get to high pressure air compressor to get the tire to inflate.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal