Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestions for a DFW - Three Sisters ride I'm doing this weekend?  (Read 863 times)

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......

Heading out with the wife on Sat to ride the 3 sisters for the first time.  I was planning on heading west then south to 16 to Fredericksburg for the first night, but the wife thinks that might be too far (YAWN). I'm figgerin if I make it to some halfway point tween here and there by mid afternoon I'll be chompin at the bit to move on, but if wifey gets all PO'ed it'll be worse (other than I just bought her a full face helmet and we don't have an intercom :-)

Ya'll got any suggestions for a nice route and 2/3 or 3/4 of the way stoping point? 

Any other roads I need to put the rubber to while down there?

BTW in the wife's defense, the longest ride she's been on is 60 miles.  I did 600 miles of nasty/fun Arkansas roads in a day (15 hrs at that).  I'm hopin she'll get used to the distance runs. 

Thanks for any input!

Dusty

Re: Any suggestions for a DFW - Three Sisters ride I'm doing this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:09:30 AM »

Heading out with the wife on Sat to ride the 3 sisters for the first time.  I was planning on heading west then south to 16 to Fredericksburg for the first night, but the wife thinks that might be too far (YAWN). I'm figgerin if I make it to some halfway point tween here and there by mid afternoon I'll be chompin at the bit to move on, but if wifey gets all PO'ed it'll be worse (other than I just bought her a full face helmet and we don't have an intercom :-)

Ya'll got any suggestions for a nice route and 2/3 or 3/4 of the way stoping point? 

Any other roads I need to put the rubber to while down there?

BTW in the wife's defense, the longest ride she's been on is 60 miles.  I did 600 miles of nasty/fun Arkansas roads in a day (15 hrs at that).  I'm hopin she'll get used to the distance runs. 

Thanks for any input!

I don't know your wife, but if she gets a look at all those stores, you'll be in Freddy all weekend.  ;D
16 going south out of Freddy is not a bad ride either. The projected high for Sat. is the low 60's, layer up. Watch for the animals, both in the road dead and on the side waiting to commit suicide. 335 has some great scenery, slow down, soak up the sun and enjoy! Please be careful, some of those turns on the sisters seem to become sharper than they first appear and you never know what's coming at you untill you round the turn. I met a wing in one of them last weekend and it felt like our handlebars were going to kiss. We were both still in our lanes, but man it seemed close.

Have a Great weekend!

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
Re: Any suggestions for a DFW - Three Sisters ride I'm doing this weekend?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:01:21 AM »

Thanks Dusty!
I met up with a friend that lives in Temple for breakfast this morning.  He put a hilighter to my map and now it's all yeller down that way :-)   Wife decided we're going to head down on Sunday now.  I've got a hotel reserved in Marble Falls for Sunday, Kerrville on Tuesday, and Boerne on Wed.  Will stay at my friends place in Belton on the way back up. I'll drive as much yeller as I can get away with!

I was changing the rear end oil and noticed that I've used all but about an eighth of an inch of the tread next to the sidewalls.  That would be where the boards start grinding.

I'll be good.  No need to have spent all that money on riding gear for the wife if I go out and scare the feces outta her on the first nice little ride :-\

At least it won't be getting so cold as to have to worry about ice on the road.......

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal