Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wanting to go Darkside need tire mounted in NT  (Read 6099 times)

brandonh82

Re: Wanting to go Darkside need tire mounted in NT
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »

went today to get a tire for the bike (darkside, I am tired of getting 6000 miles out of a $350 tire) but dint know what size to put on a 240 rear and neither did the guy at Hams tires. Guess I will have to break down and go to honda and talk to them :'(
One of the guys on the vtxoa site threw this link up when another guy asked about a 240 darkside.  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+UHP&partnum=47HR6GRUHP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=4
He said that the best route would be to go with a truck tire.  Sports car tires at that width are so low profile that they'd throw your speedo off by 20+%.  Good luck with this one.  You'll be one of the first handful to go darkside 240.  I definitely wanna see it when you get it done.

p.s.  I wouldn't screw with the dealership about it.  I went up to mine to buy an exhaust gasket, and one of the service guys saw it.  Gave me the "You're gonna die a flaming death" look.  Didn't even mention tires to him in the first place.

probably cant use it because the clearance on the swing arm is so miniscule that I cant go with anything over a 40mm sidewall :(
I'm not sure if you can use that particular tire, but you can probably find something in the truck tire department to fit your rim.  The main problem you're trying to avoid is a tire that's too low profile.  You'll lose all sorts of cornering clearance, and you're bike will cruise at even higher RPM's than the 1800's already do.  It's gonna be tough to figure out, but I'm sure you'll find a reasonable solution.  If you're not on the vtxoa board, you should check them out.  Maybe post a question on the 1800 darkside thread over there.

terrible TC

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »

Does look huge. Even after you get it put on. I just got mine put on this week. Powersports Plus in Gun Barrel City did it for $35. The guy there said it was no problem.

[/quote]

Just left powersports +, Hobo I think they lied to you lol. They said it was a Buck Rogers getttin your tire on there!!! they raised the price to $40 when they saw me comin. HAHA I told them shoot $40 aint nothing brother, how bout an oil change too. Pick it up tuesday, I didnt get it to em early enough today for it to be a one day deal, Im pumped. Look out ladies

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »

Who, back up a sec... you can go darkside on a stock rim?  No fender mod?
My now long gone VTX...

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »

yes

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 10:20:50 PM »

Well, you do probably want to do a little grinding on the bracket under your rear fender, but that's it...  I went with a 205 car tire, and figured it might rub that lip on the bracket, so I ground extra tabs in the back, the helmet lock, and the lip all off, put some door edging around the edge where the lip was.  but with a tire that isn't as wide as a 205, you probably don't have to do anything custom, at least on mine...  dunno what it looks like under there on the other models, I am about to go with the undertaker rear fender, and they assured me that it will fit around my tire no problem...

Here is my darkside:
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=4866.msg51147#msg51147

terrible TC

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 09:54:48 PM »

Im a darksider now, got about 115 miles today, a little different. But nothign major I can tell

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 10:29:18 PM »

Im a darksider now, got about 115 miles today, a little different. But nothign major I can tell

Did you end up going with the 205/55/R16?  What brand and model?  How is the fit with a R model fender?  Did you have to do any grinding on the bracket under the fender?  What pressure are you running, and what did you go with for balancing?  Oh, and welcome to the darkside...

terrible TC

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 01:31:05 AM »

went with a hancook ventus sport 205/55/16. no mods at all to get it on. as far as pressure and balancing, it was done by a local shop. they did all that and I havent checked to see what pressure Im at. I will, just havent. Might adjust after a bit if I feel the need.

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »

hows it feel coming out of a turn?

brandonh82

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 10:24:12 AM »

Once I adjusted the pressure up to 44 psi, mine felt better than the dunnie coming out of a turn.

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 07:04:10 PM »

Once I adjusted the pressure up to 44 psi, mine felt better than the dunnie coming out of a turn.
It dosnt try to stand you back up to straight quickly?

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 09:44:15 PM »

Just left powersports +, Hobo I think they lied to you lol. They said it was a Buck Rogers getttin your tire on there!!! they raised the price to $40 when they saw me comin. HAHA I told them shoot $40 aint nothing brother, how bout an oil change too. Pick it up tuesday, I didnt get it to em early enough today for it to be a one day deal, Im pumped. Look out ladies

When I dropped the bike and tire off with them, the guy looked at me like I was crazy. I had previously talked to the owner of the place and had agreed on a price. He had always been reasonable and inquisitive about what people were trying and gave me good prices. In return, I would always give him information on the results of my experiments. He knew what I wanted to do and how to do it. Now the owner has left and the place is under new management. When I picked up the bike the new guy sat that it was "No problem"... ;) I guess I'll become more acquainted with some of the other shops in town... O0

As far as "Going to the Darkside" is concerned, I have about 500 miles on the tire and have several experiences that may interest some that are interested in making the change. I would be happy to respond to PM's from anyone with questions.

"hooter" previously posted a link to an article that my expreriences, (so far), solidly reinforce. It is definitely worth reading for anyone wanting info on "Going to the Darkside". (Thanks again, hooter), The article is here:
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

By the way, TC, give me a shout sometime and let's ride. I don't live in Tool anymore but I'm only on the other side of the lake.... :)

My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

terrible TC

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 10:31:16 PM »

hows it feel coming out of a turn?
comin out feels fine, I was a little timid goin into them at first, but today just grip it and rip it. Hobo Ill be givin you a call, you got same number?

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »

When I dropped the bike and tire off with them, the guy looked at me like I was crazy. I had previously talked to the owner of the place and had agreed on a price. He had always been reasonable and inquisitive about what people were trying and gave me good prices. In return, I would always give him information on the results of my experiments. He knew what I wanted to do and how to do it. Now the owner has left and the place is under new management. When I picked up the bike the new guy sat that it was "No problem"... ;) I guess I'll become more acquainted with some of the other shops in town... O0

I really don't understand why it was a pain for them, I did mine myself, in a small driveway, with few tools.  I just followed Bare's instructions on removing and installing the rear tire, it was really a cake walk, the only hard part was waiting on the moly paste that Bare said honda recommends, I couldn't wait, so I used mobile 1 instead.  I did take the tire and rim to a shop to have it mounted, but that was easy too...  seams like some one with more experience and a shop should have had it easier, there is nothing different about the work involved...  dirt bike tires and bicycle tires are harder to do than this, just my 2 cents...

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 05:28:51 AM »

sure want to go dark, but am worried about the 240 rear. Does anyone know someone who has gone that big?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal