Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carb  (Read 2011 times)

tattoowho

• Tejano
Carb
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:16:40 AM »

Any one a carb guru ? I bought the Factory Pro jet kit awhile back, but carbs make me nervous. Would be awesome if there is someone that wouldn't mind overseeing the process to keep me from messing it up. And help dial it in as well. I might have to wait on a tech session I suppose. Anyway, thanks for looking.
Harley Who?

tattoowho

• Tejano
Re: Carb
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »

:popcorn:
Harley Who?

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

Carbs are a pain in the butt! Best to research what you have modified on your bike and to research what others have jetted their carbs at compared to the similar modifications. Can easily be done by doing a search on the VTXOA site, that is the way I did it when working on my wifes bike. Be prepared to take down several times and to do seat of the pants observations, unless you have a dyno laying around. Every machine appears to be different, so I don't believe there is a complete science to it. Not sure where you are at, but I don't mind helping if you are around here. Good luck!  :c

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

RedDragon

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »

Well looks as if you are up north so you are not near the Houston area.

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »

That's why I bought a 1800!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

tattoowho

• Tejano
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »

Yea I live in Athens, about 3 hours from Houston. The reason i bought the Factory Pro kit is because I did research and thats what people with similar set ups have been installing.

Chad, I think that would be a huge reason to switch to an 1800 if I was looking to switch.  But i do like the 1300's sound better.
Harley Who?

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »

Yea I live in Athens, about 3 hours from Houston. The reason i bought the Factory Pro kit is because I did research and thats what people with similar set ups have been installing.

Chad, I think that would be a huge reason to switch to an 1800 if I was looking to switch.  But i do like the 1300's sound better.
  You are 100% right about that!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »

The 1300 sounds like a MoPed next to an 1800. I've got'um both with Vance & Hines and although I do like the 1300 for some trivil reason, I guess it's because it's paid for, but as far as sound, handling, umph when you pull her ears back, 1800 is my lady!
 :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »

The 1300 sounds like a MoPed next to an 1800. I've got'um both with Vance & Hines and although I do like the 1300 for some trivil reason, I guess it's because it's paid for, but as far as sound, handling, umph when you pull her ears back, 1800 is my lady!

Yes, but can you use the sun for directions on a 1800 :stickpoke: :stickpoke:
I have never sat on one, so I don't, but I have ridden a moped and it aint no 1300 my buddy.  :c
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »

I have never sat on one, so I don't, but I have ridden a moped and it aint no 1300 my buddy.  :c

Can I use the sun on my 1800? OH STOP IT! You of all people know Ole Blue don't need the sun to find her way. She's led me home safe and sound many nights!  Now as far as the MoPed remark, maybe not quite that bad but a Honda 300 dream comes to mind.

What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »

Can I use the sun on my 1800? OH STOP IT! You of all people know Ole Blue don't need the sun to find her way. She's led me home safe and sound many nights!  Now as far as the MoPed remark, maybe not quite that bad but a Honda 300 dream comes to mind.

I have to say Ole Blue has brought you home at times I never thought it would happen !!! can't disagree that.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »

Well, if you shoot me your e-mail address in a PM, I can shoot you a copy of my carb tear-down write up.  It will at least give you some pictures to go by.

What is your current pipe/intake setup?

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 08:09:10 AM »

Chad, I think that would be a huge reason to switch to an 1800 if I was looking to switch.  But i do like the 1300's sound better.

Factory Pro makes good stuff. I'd trust their offering as long as the kit matches the air modifications you've made to your bike.  Carbs fuel delivery just, like fuel injection, need to be corrected when air mods are done to an engine.  They are a very crude method of fuel delivery but works fine if done correctly.  They are very delicate instruments and need to be treated accordingly if you want the work to come out right.  Like I said............The metering changes offered by Factory Pro should work fine as long they are specific to your air mods.  The issue is how much care and well the prep work on the carb is done.  If this is your first job with a carb, it would be best to have someone show you how to work on them and explain the fuel and air circuits.  In any case I would suggest you get a copy of the carb tunning manual by Sudco/Mikuni and read it twice.  It's very good and applies to all venturi type carbs.  You can easily ham fist something and damage the carb beyond repair if you don't know what you’re doing.  There are things you must know about a carb rebuild the kit instructions probably don't tell you.  Never, never , never use a wire to clean an internal passage or a fuel jet.  That will destroy are carbs ability to meter air or fuel correctly.  Will it still work, probably.  Will it still work as it is originally intended to, proably not. The small variations the wire puts in the walls of the passage way alters its flow characteristist and changes how it meters the medium weather its fuel or air.   Float level is critical and needs to be spot on for correct metering.  Inspect the float for fuel inside the floats (there should be none) and if they are parralle and level.  The pilot fuel circuit passages in the carb body are extreamly small and must be very clean to meter fuel correctly.  Ultrasonic cleaning is really the only way to totally clean and open them up because you can't actually see the circuit pathways internal to the carb body.  The carb needs to be spotlessly clean to meter fuel correctly.  I inspect components like fuel jets, air jets and metering rods with a 10 power loop or magnifing glass.  Yes it's that important if you want it right.  You should change the float needle valve to ensure correct flow.  It's probably not in their kit.  The list goes on and on, so it would be best to have someone show you how they work to get it done right the first time and not screw the carb up.
Check with Factory Pro to confirm what elevation they developed/corrected their jetting.  It should be sea level.  Your elevation requires no correction but that's the kind of attention to detail it requires to get it right.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:36:20 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

seefriedm

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »

If you haven't done the upgrade yet, Charlie D on the VTXCafe is the expert on the PRO Jet upgrade

tattoowho

• Tejano
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »

Yea, but he doesn't live close by.
Harley Who?
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal