Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To iron butt or not to iron butt. that is the question...  (Read 4775 times)

racer_phill

• Tejano
    • Facebook
To iron butt or not to iron butt. that is the question...
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »

Giving serious thought about doing the iron butt run to west Texas this spring. It leaves from a dealership in N Dallas. It goes to almost El Paso and back. 1000 miles in less than 24 hrs.
My pops and bro did it about 2 years ago and they said it was a "fantastic" ride straight down I20 (and back).

Anyone think they would want to join me??? I don't know if I can do it by myself...

www.ironbutt.com

:flag:
06 VTX1800f3 & 04 CRF250R & 06 F-150

"When tomorrow comes, Today will be a brand new day" Pillar

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: To iron butt or not to iron butt. that is the question...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »

Would consider it if it wasn't the bike I have now!! About all I am good for on it is about 500 a day! then I have no feeling on my left side!  :D
 Good luck!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

You can do it --- go for it  :thumbup: :bikerider:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Pokins

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

I did that route for an Iron Butt - sun at your back both ways !!

You want to keep your group small - you need to get in and out of gas stations quick.
If you haven't done one before - then GO FOR IT.  something to do at least once.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

I would consider doing it.  Would have to see my schedule and check the dates of it.  Sounds fun and exhausting.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »

Several of our members are Iron Butters. :thumbup:    The rest have lead in their rumps!! >:D

http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=11469.0

http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2005SS1000/SitePhotos/Houston/Index.html

Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »

Giving serious thought about doing the iron butt run to west Texas this spring. It leaves from a dealership in N Dallas. It goes to almost El Paso and back. 1000 miles in less than 24 hrs.
My pops and bro did it about 2 years ago and they said it was a "fantastic" ride straight down I20 (and back).

Anyone think they would want to join me??? I don't know if I can do it by myself...

www.ironbutt.com

I might be game, i need to get a qualifying cert out of the way for some of the bigger stuff that i want to do.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »

www.ironbutt.com

I would be interested when?

racer_phill

• Tejano
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »

I was really thinking a little later. Maybe like first week of March or wait and do first week of April.

I didn't think about the sun being at your back. Thats a great point!
06 VTX1800f3 & 04 CRF250R & 06 F-150

"When tomorrow comes, Today will be a brand new day" Pillar

W00DY

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »

as a the guy that did alot of the electrical construction for cellular relay stations out in west Texas, I do everything humanly possible to avoid I20.  It's a long boring straight road  :banghead:...  Have fun though :thumbup: good luck on the butt patch :cool2:

zerogs

• Tejano
  • 2003 VTX 1800C R.I.P. Torque
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »

:cool2:   If its during the week then I am interested. Let me know when so I can plan for it, gotta get a new tire and some minor maintenance then I am good to go. Buddy of mine will join too....
Imagination is the Elixar to life.
Rest in Peace Jacob A.K.A. Torque
12/18/1975-4/29/2009

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »

as a the guy that did alot of the electrical construction for cellular relay stations out in west Texas,
I do everything humanly possible to avoid I20.  It's a long boring straight road  :banghead:...  
Have fun though :thumbup: good luck on the butt patch :cool2:

That's the road type of choice for Iron Butters.  Long and Boring and Straight.  That's why I don't do Iron Butt rides.  They are Looooooooooooong and Boooooooooooooooring and Straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaight.   :(    
IMHO it defeats the purpose of riding a motorcycle.  I don't mind the "Long" aspect, but the last two aspects of that kind of ride sucks.  
To each his own.  :o
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:07:26 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »

Giving serious thought about doing the iron butt run to west Texas this spring. It leaves from a dealership in N Dallas. It goes to almost El Paso and back. 1000 miles in less than 24 hrs. My pops and bro did it about 2 years ago and they said it was a "fantastic" ride straight down I20 (and back).
Anyone think they would want to join me???

I don't know if I can do it by myself...

www.ironbutt.com

Iron Butt rides and rallies are much more mental than physical.  It's more of a mental game you have to overcome within yourself than being physically able to make the ride.  If you are thinking........I don't know if I can do it by myself..............before you even get the kick stand up, you are starting off with the wrong attitude and it's self defeating from the start.  Most Iron Butt riders are the "loner" types and don't ride with or in crowds.  They are the type that have a very strong, self motivating character.  Read any books written by an Iron Butter and you'll see what I mean. From the physical standpoint the beginner must not ignore the fact he will most likely be riding when he's very tired.  That's a very dangerous condition to be riding in.  Your going to be "in the saddle" for a minimum of 17-18 hours.  Mental fatigue accounts for approximately 40% of the accidents in cars and bikes.  Never allow yourself to be pushed by someone else into continuing a ride if you feel tired.  If you’re not mentally sharp about what you’re doing while riding, you’re putting yourself at an increased risk of an accident.  A one thousand mile a day ride is stressful and should not be undertaken lightly without proper mental and physical considerations.  Multiple thousand mile days are something completely different and requires a considerably different skill set to accomplish without an incident. Riders are killed every year on Iron Butt rides because the ride itself is inherently more dangerous, by its nature, than just riding a motorcycle.  A beginner may not be aware of the advantage of additional lighting.  Extended hours of night riding at high speed begs for better lighting than the sorry light output of a VTX.  If you’re not running extra or high wattage lighting………keep that in mind as your flying down I-20 at 3:00 AM………….and your tired.

You have the Iron Butt website.  I'd suggest reading everything they have to offer for a first timer like yourself and/or actually talk to one of them and ask them what to expect on your first Iron Butt.  What I'm trying to convey is............Don't take a thousand mile day bike ride lightly.  Get "Prepared" for it.  While Iron Butts aren't for me because they are so boring, I can understand why some like to do them.  It's a different kind of ride............. for a different kind of person.  
Have a safe ride and a great time and let us know how it went!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:18:19 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »

Good post and some good points brought out for thought. If you've never done it, do some shorter 600, then 800 mile runs, work up to it. 1000 mile Ironbutt is alot easier to say than to do.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

Here are some good things to consider when riding an Iron Butt.............

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1