Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scottish Rite Run  (Read 5003 times)

iluvink

Scottish Rite Run
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:07:32 AM »

Here's the link...I think that I will try to make this one.  Just a little early to tell.  I like the fact that they have a "rain date".
I realize that the BBT is that weekend, but anyone not going to BBT, we might meet up.

http://www.abcpokerrun.net

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:10:25 AM by iluvink »

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
Re: Scottish Rite Run
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:33:15 AM »

The ABC is a trade organization which sponsors this event.  Until recently, I worked for a member company that actually put on the event for the ABC.  When that company and I parted ways, it was something less than amicable.  I'm not going to BBT but its possible they may have a "shoot on site" order on me down in Cedar Hill.

Seriously, they do a great job and its a fun ride.  And clearly you have to know it's a good cause.  I'm thinkin I'll test the waters with some of the folks there and might make the run too.
BJ & Miss Angela

'05 VTX 1800C-Darkside-110 CI of rompin', stompin', hellfire and damnation

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »

The ABC is a trade organization which sponsors this event.  Until recently, I worked for a member company that actually put on the event for the ABC.  When that company and I parted ways, it was something less than amicable.  I'm not going to BBT but its possible they may have a "shoot on site" order on me down in Cedar Hill.

Seriously, they do a great job and its a fun ride.  And clearly you have to know it's a good cause.  I'm thinkin I'll test the waters with some of the folks there and might make the run too.

If you don't mind saying who did you work for? I used to be heavily involved with the ABC years ago. Don't bother with them anymore.

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »

I worked for Johnston Products.  They are a steel fabrication and erection outfit in Cedar Hill.
BJ & Miss Angela

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:39:26 PM »

Not familiar with them, but I am familiar wuth the Scottish Rite. Any charity the Scottish Rite is involved with is worthwhile I promise you that. I have sponsored several children through the Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children and have seen, what I consider, miracles performed by the doctors who donate a large portion, if not all, their time to the hospital. The kids are treated free of charge. If you have never toured the hospital I recommend it. It is a very humbling experience.

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »

I couldn't agree more.  I have made the tour and you are correct; they are discriminating and do it the way all charitable organizations ought to.  As I said before, I'll probably make the run since I know it is for a good cause.  I just want to make sure my former, fellow employees don't throw rocks at me.  The final stop with rodeo games, music and barbeque are all at Johnston Products.  If they'll have me I'll probably make the trip.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:08:40 PM by studdog »
BJ & Miss Angela

tejasx

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »

I might be interested, not going to BBT, don't know yet if I have that weekend off.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 10:25:51 PM »

Michele and I will do it....  BJ, I got your back....   O0

txvtxrider

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:10:47 AM »

I'm in for the ride.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 09:18:28 AM »

Sounds like a good cause, would be fun and I do try to make all the good cause runs we can but, the BBT comes first this year  O0 O0 O0 If something changes, well then, I'll be poker running
AL
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »

Not familiar with them, but I am familiar wuth the Scottish Rite. Any charity the Scottish Rite is involved with is worthwhile I promise you that. I have sponsored several children through the Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children and have seen, what I consider, miracles performed by the doctors who donate a large portion, if not all, their time to the hospital. The kids are treated free of charge. If you have never toured the hospital I recommend it. It is a very humbling experience.

Hey Headguess.  I had forgotten about it but I actually have a photo of representatives of Johnston Products and ABC making the presentation of the check from last year's run to the hospital staff.

Can't remember the exact amount but it was tens of thousands.  We had lunch at the hospital and that's when I took the tour.  An impressive facility.  This poker run does a good job raising the funds too.

I checked the atmosphere over there with a buddy of mine and we figure that a ride is a ride and since its for charity, no one is gonna turn away my money.  And once we're there at the end, if folks seem a little hostile, I can always jump off.  What's the worst?  Gettin on my X and heading up the road really anin't nothin to fret about.  It's kinda the point of the day after all.  To make a long, boring story longer.... yup.  We'll be there.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:24:40 AM by studdog »
BJ & Miss Angela

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 04:27:30 PM »

I had forgotten about this glas you posted again. I will plan on being there. Look forward to meeting you.

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 07:45:34 PM »

I had forgotten about this glas you posted again. I will plan on being there. Look forward to meeting you.

Yup, same here.  I'll cya then if not sooner.
BJ & Miss Angela

studdog

• Old Timer
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 07:20:25 AM »

I just sent my pre-registration form in for this run.  Good cause and good run.  Something I like about this one is that there is an east and west route both.  They both end in Cedar Hill of course but you don't feel like you took a beatin just to get to the start point.  Should be much more accomodating for riders all over the metroplex.  Not to mention a good conditioning ride for my passenger who needs to get ready for ROT.  Hope some of ya'll can make it.  Here's the link again if anyone needs it.

http://www.abcpokerrun.net/
BJ & Miss Angela

TexPops

• Old Timer
  • Azle (Eagle Mountain Lake) n.w. of Ft.Worth
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 07:52:11 AM »

This is the same weekend as BBT?
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal