Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Contract to Hire  (Read 1854 times)

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
Contract to Hire
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »

So, I have an offer to leave my current job for a contract to hire position with a very good company.  The job is supposed to be 6 moths then full time assuming that they actually want me to keep working.  I am the #1 candidate by a mile so I am pertty sure I can make a good impression.  Current situation isn't bad but just has nearly zero room to grow but is full time with benefits and pays pretty good.  New job has no benefits but I can get insurance on my wife's job so no worries there.  Pay is about a 50% upgrade from what I have now and the position is management with a tremendous upside.  I am just nervous about taking a job with any risk that I will be looking again in 6 months.  Anyone here ever do a contract to hire?  What are the pro's and con's?  I really want to take advantage of a good opportunity but have been laid off for 13 months back in 2009 and am way gun shy. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
Re: Contract to Hire
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:46 PM »

My wife is contract to hire...and the pay is much better than her last job that had benefits, etc.  But she is month by month....but she has also had jobs that was salary/benefits...and got laid off because of jobs going offshore..
 What are your goals?  Will this help achieve them?  What is the culture like and both jobs?  Do you know anyone working at the new place that you can talk honestly too?
You didn't say what industry this job is in.  Are they sourcing jobs?  What could be your future career path for the next 5-10 years?  PM offline and we can talk about it.
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »

Good company, good culture and the position is my 5 year goal. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:18:26 AM »

Now that I am at a computer and not on my phone.....

What are your goals?  Will this help achieve them?  What is the culture like and both jobs?  Do you know anyone working at the new place that you can talk honestly too?
Are they sourcing jobs?  What could be your future career path for the next 5-10 years?

This is in line with my long term goals.  Current situation appears to have no growth potential.  I do like the company and management where I am currently though.
This position is my next goal and would help me to be in a position to set the next goals.
Culture at both jobs is about the same, typical fortune 500 stuff.
I have a frend that works for the potential new company and he seems to like it. I checked Glassdoor.com and reviews are favorable.  
With this recruiter they have a history of contract to hire and just contract.  So far (according to them) they have hired all the contract to hire people at around 6 months.  

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »

Sounds like it's go time then....go for it and good luck!
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »

Sounds like it's go time then....go for it and good luck!

Thanks, I am going to have a chat with my manager today and see what they have in store for my future.  At the very least they might throw some money my way and shut me up until next year.  At the end of the day, I do work for a good company and I like the management but if it's dead end I need to make a play somewhere else.  We'll see how this goes.  The good thing, I am definitely employable so once oil comes back up I will have some great opportunity much closer to home. 

The new place has 2 big checks in the "cons" column.  Current drive, 7.9 miles, future drive, 41 miles.  Current, 15 days vacation, 5 PTO, 2 Floaters and 9 paid holidays....future, contract...no vacation, no PTO no holidays.   

OF course the second con should be resolved in 6 months but there is no guarantee of that. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »

Well, problem solved for now.  Decided I like vacation too much and don't want to go 6 months with it coming out of my own pocket but most of all, I like my 7.9 mile drive too much.  I told the boss that someone was trying to hire me and they don't want that so while they are not going to match, they are doing what they can.  

Alls well that ends well I guess.  If this offer had been closer to home, it would have been a no brainer though.  

Plus I am already scheduled off for the BBT VII!!!
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »

Congratulations Rocket on sounding like you got the win in a win-win situation.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 10:45:57 PM »

......Plus I am already scheduled off for the BBT VII!!!

Sorry Rocket, your late and didn't get to make BBT VII   :ohwow: :ohwow: :redcard:
 Try and make BBT XII. Trust me you'll like it much better!!   :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »

Dang Rocket I didn't know you were at the
BBT #7 .Your a old timer like me.   ;D
See ya at BBTXII!!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 07:13:27 AM »

So you guye been doing this since 2003?  Holy crap!!   :ohwow: :notworthy: :c
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:40 AM »

Congratulations Rocket on sounding like you got the win in a win-win situation.

Other than the fact that I do get bored doing the same thing all the time.  I think eventually I will go do something else but for now no hurry to leave.  With all the oil companies moving up here close to the Woodlands I am sure I will get a call from someone else that is much closer to home. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal