Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You might want to pay more attention......................  (Read 1629 times)

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
You might want to pay more attention......................
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:39:30 AM »

when your riding through an intersection. 
NEVER trust other drivers even though you may have "the right of way".  "Pay attention" or "Pay with your life".  Idiots are out there every where.  Keep your head on a swivel. 

Bare witness to what happens if your not on your toes at intersections......................
http://www.break.com/index/car-blows-red-light-and-hits-biker.html 
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

mudfrogg

• Old Timer
    • www.dallaspi.com
Re: You might want to pay more attention......................
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:24:46 AM »

I counted 4 other bikers drive by without stopping.

da032

• Old Timer
  • McKinney, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »

Thanx for posting this.  A cager ran a red light right in front of me on Sun.  I couldn't help but think what if has taken a different route home and was coming through that intersection.

The more I thought about it I got madder and madder.  I caught up to him at the next light and I was ready to cuss him up oneside and down the other but when I looked to the car he had two little girls in the backseat and a look of shame and regret on his face so I let it go.

I know that sometimes when I ride I'm enjoying the experience so much that I will forget that there are a bunch of idiots moving 2 ton machines all around me.  We all need to take care when we ride because as much as I enjoy riding, I enjoy coming back home to the loves I love and who love me even more!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »

The rider was partially to blame because he came out and into a blind intersection and never slowed down to check traffic, his bad, but the main cause of the accident as I saw it was the driver of the cager was on the phone. He got out of the car talking to somebody and seem more concerned about telling them about what just happened than he was the rider down. I'm sure he wasn't calling 911
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:07:02 AM »

The rider was partially to blame because he came out and into a blind intersection and never slowed down to check traffic, his bad, but the main cause of the accident as I saw it was the driver of the cager was on the phone. He got out of the car talking to somebody and seem more concerned about telling them about what just happened than he was the rider down. I'm sure he wasn't calling 911

Yeah....the part where he was stepping over the rider was really telling. HOW ABOUT A LITTLE COMFORT, BUDDY!!  >:(
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

wearevenom2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Garland Tx
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:48:37 PM »

:o

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:58:23 PM »

Yeah....the part where he was stepping over the rider was really telling. HOW ABOUT A LITTLE COMFORT, BUDDY!!  >:(

I'm not pointing this response at you RD rather all of us in general..........

His lack of conceren is not surprising.  When something dramatic happens like that, people get zoned out sometimes like their in shock.  They don't know how to respond to a dramatic or shocking incident.  At every emergency I've been involved with, I'm always amazed at how the general public just stands there and watchs and don't get involved........for what ever the reason they may have, they don't act.  At every accident scene, it seems like I'm the one directing people what to do until emergency responders arrive.  People will generally act after you tell them what to do, they just don't seem to get involved until directed to do so.  Just think how many lives could be a saved each year if everyone knew CPR.  How many of us could administer CPR correctly if you had too?  If you ride a bike I think you should be able to. I think they should make it part of the rider training program.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:00:59 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:12:31 PM »

Very good point. O0 O0
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

DagoRed

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 08:53:04 AM »

Ride as if you have created a safety bubble; your safety bubble.  The faster you go, the larger the bubble becomes.  As you approach an intersection your bubble widens, and your scanning technique must, without fail, scan the entire bubble you have created for your safety.  Especially in blind intersections. 

Think of it as such:  You are traveling 50 mph with an appropriately sized oblong safety buble.  You are approaching a blind intersection (i.e. you cannot see cross traffic within your bubble).  Your safety bubble needs time to expand as it is released from your narrow path of travel to a wide swath of safety...slow down, give the bubble time to widen and your eyes and brain to scan its contents.

I watched the video five times.  This collision was avoidable.  The rider needed to slow down and allow his safety bubble the time and energy to encompass the scanning of cross traffic.  You will not see your families again if you do not anticipate the unexpected.  For me, that is the joy of riding.  The clarity of thought in creating my safety bubble is unparalleled; its a religion.

My .02 cents.  Ride safe my friends.

DR 

Boogie

• Master Tejano Rider
  • GULF OF MEXICO
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 07:31:20 PM »

I'm not pointing this response at you RD rather all of us in general..........

His lack of conceren is not surprising.  When something dramatic happens like that, people get zoned out sometimes like their in shock.  They don't know how to respond to a dramatic or shocking incident.  At every emergency I've been involved with, I'm always amazed at how the general public just stands there and watchs and don't get involved........for what ever the reason they may have, they don't act.  At every accident scene, it seems like I'm the one directing people what to do until emergency responders arrive.  People will generally act after you tell them what to do, they just don't seem to get involved until directed to do so.  Just think how many lives could be a saved each year if everyone knew CPR.  How many of us could administer CPR correctly if you had too?  If you ride a bike I think you should be able to. I think they should make it part of the rider training program.

Excellent Response,
  I to am one of the ones that has to help, I was an emergency responder in a chemical plant for 20 years and I just can't walk past an accident. I have rescued an infant out of the back seat of a car, wreck, stablized the drivers head until the ambulance got on the scene, and many more than I care to count.
 I'm not boasting, it's a fact, go take a CPR, first aid class, You can spare a few hours,
and just maybe you will spare a few lives.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:32:57 PM by Boogie »
                      Native Texan, I ride a steel horse

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »

The only sad reality to it is...most people will not "help" fearing a lawsuit by the victims family if the victim dies. And of course, you should NEVER move someone that had been spun around like a rag doll like that, so there isn't that much you can or should do...unless you have to stop a arterial bleed that would kill them itself before a ambulance could respond, or if they are already not breathing and require CPR.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal