Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: R.A.T. Ride recap  (Read 26091 times)

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
Re: R.A.T. Ride recap
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 08:17:20 PM »

:) :)You really are good at it RD!   You the MAN! You probably won't forget tar foot, or the aliens....
Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 09:07:27 PM »

:) :)You really are good at it RD!   You the MAN! You probably won't forget tar foot, or the aliens....

Shhhhh!  :-X Don't give away the surprise ending, Wayne. ;)
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 09:44:49 PM »

:-[Sorry, always operating mouth before engaging brain!  It was great to see prong horns in the wild ;D ;D

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 09:47:38 PM »

Forgot Abes' profile.... :-X

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 09:50:18 PM »

OK! Do you want to write the installments?
04' Honda VTX 1800C

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 10:09:13 PM »

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :( :( :'( :-X :-X :-X :-X :P

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

ghostrider

• Tejano
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 11:11:26 PM »

Sh*%^, this forum is turing in a Sylvian TV comercial.  ;D ;D ;D ;D the only thing yawl are missing this the to "to be continued" statement ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D Keep it up and Ill have to enroll

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 11:26:32 PM »

Where are the pics of this great state of ours?
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 08:42:55 PM »

Day 3: Monday

We woke up early this morning to the sound of Jerry using some appliance that sounded like a "Dentist drill"! :o We packed up, and headed down the street to a great greasey spoon resturant. It's 1 notch below a Denny's, and 1 above a Waffle House. This is where we began our "customary, 2/2/2 breakfasts. 2 eggs, 2 meat, 2 toast. Jerry likes patties, no links, just paddies. :D Wayne and I, gave Jerry some "good natured ribbing" about assorted things during the trip. He's a good sport. You may read some comments through the chapter's, but, I'll give credit, where credit is due. If you have any...any questions about riding gear, you need to get in touch with him. I think he's checked out almost every product know to man. And the one's he uses....work!
We gassed up and check the air in Jerry's tire. All was well, and headed off down Hwy90 to the Pecos River bridge. After visiting the bridge, we rode to Langtry. The old gas station on 90 at Langtry was closed, and we really needed to top off our tanks. (Me) We took of to Sanderson, knowing we were going to push the limit on gas. A new store popped up in Dryden, since I was passed ther last year, so it warranted a peek. No gas, but a project Model A rolling chassis sitting in front of the store. We spent some time talking to the owner about her store, and the possibility of getting gas there in the future. She said that they were working on it, but didn't know when. She was really nice, and I hope they can make a go of it, out in the middle of nowhere. If you ever get by there, stop in for a soda water or a snack.
Well...still no gas, so we continued to Sanderson. We made it, and I had some to spare. I think I put in around 3.7 gals. Whew! That's pushing it for me. Tip: If you come into Sanderson from the east, believe me, you'll want to stop at the 1st place you see. Don't! It's a Shamrock station...not Diamond Shamrock(Valero). If you continue on through town, maybe a mile, you'll come to a real nice 6-8 pump Convenient store with hot food, and 10x's better selection of wares. Worth the extra mile.
Back on the road to Marathon, and the Gage Hotel. I was looking forward to a sandwich from a little shop close to the hotel. NOT! They weren't open. Marathon is a strange town...they're trying to become a tourist stop/destination, but, they don't keep thing open during the week. The only saving grace we had, was a small grocery store a block north on Hwy90. They had some homemade packaged sandwichs, but, we had to stand to eat them! ???
After gassing up, we headed south on 385 to Big Bend. We drove straight through the park, as we'd all been there before, (no bluebonnets  :() then stopped for gas and refreshments in Study Butte. We did run into some road resurfacing in Lajitas, but, only a short distance, maybe 4-5 miles. They had started last year, and are almot completly done on the River Road stretch. A couple of intering points for people that know that area. The Overlook point where one ca view the Rio Grande, has been redone, and just before that, they've put in a picnic area with the new "Teepee" style covers over the table. Very nice stop. The curves, and low water crossings close to Presidio have been smoothed out, and widdened, making for a nice ride.
After a stop in Presido for gas, we headed up Hwy17 to Marfa. If you ever go this way, be sure to look for Lincoln's profile. The little peaks of the mountains, make true representation of Lincoln's facial profile lying down on the back of his head. Also, 17 is a FANTASTIC hwy to ride 65-75mph on. Great topography, sweeping curves, enough to keep you entertained fot the 70 or so miles it takes to get to Marfa.
We arrived in Marfa, located a nice motel on the eastside outskirts of the city, unpacked, and headed for supper. We stopped in Marfa's historic Hotel Paisano.  http://www.hotelpaisano.com/ It's a little pricey, but, a nice stop for a good meal and atmosphere. After dinner, we drove east on 90 for about 10 miles to a viewing area for the famous Marfa Lights. http://www.marfacc.com/marfa_lights1.htm  All day we'd been teasing Jerry, that if the Aliens came down, we were going to give him to them. When we arrived at the site, I went to the viewing area right away. Jerry came up a few minutes later, and I had to laugh out loud. Remember, this is a viewing area. It's pitch black dark so you can see the lights, but they have red lights lights the floor, and steps. I look over and see Jerry standing there with his jacket and helmet on. After teasing him all day, about the Aliens, he looked like a little kid dressed up as a "spaceman" ready to go.
After a cold ride (temp dropped 30*-no jacket) back to the motel, we readied ourselves for tomorrow.
04' Honda VTX 1800C

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 09:42:43 PM »

ROTFLMAO,  Yep he was ready to be beamed up!!!

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

Dusty

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 07:12:05 AM »

ROTFLMAO,  Yep he was ready to be beamed up!!!

Yes, But who was warm and who was cold? ;D

You keep em honest Jerry    ;D :P

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 07:41:01 AM »

Jerry, that's a pretty big bag on the back.  Are you still hiding Jimmy Hoffa?   :o
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 08:36:45 AM »

RD i am loving the rat saga, it's like a soap opera and i can't wait untill your next story, thanks for sharing.
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »

Even though I talked to the RAT riders almost everyday of their journey, there wasn't enough time in the mornings for RD or Wayne to tell me of their happenings.  Really enjoying reading this RD, keep it up.  I know from the last day I rode with yall, I could tell how much fun yall had.

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2006, 11:05:14 AM »

Jerry, that's a pretty big bag on the back.  Are you still hiding Jimmy Hoffa?   :o
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal