Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whipped by short ride  (Read 752 times)

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Whipped by short ride
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »

Yesterday was beautiful so I rode down to Hedley to check on my house there, just 75 miles to the east of here. I knew we had a front headed in from the north but decided to spend the night there anyway. It hit last night with wind and rain, as expected. I knew that I would be riding home in wind and rain. No big deal, I thought, been there done that since I started riding 40 years ago.
The wind was on average 40mph from the north, with gust of who knows, I was headed west. I was wearing a 3/4 helmet with a face shield and the gusts would hit from the side like I was getting punched by a boxer, my lips were flapping in the crosswind. There were times that I if I had boards instead of pegs they would have scrapped, going straight. When I hit the rain, the wind would let up a little so the rain was a good thing.
I know I have had harder rides before, but I was a much younger man then. I don't think a hot shower, and a stiff drink is going to work this time, after both, I feel like I have been beat with a baseball bat.
This getting old thing is crimping my style more than I thought it would.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Re: Whipped by short ride
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »

haven't been in winds quite that bad...but one time did have 30mph + cross winds that were hitting Wayne and I...and for part of it Wayne was riding Buck Rogers on my bike...it was a very new experience for me.  Been in rain that was pounding me so hard that I felt like needles were being driven into my arms, and that was with rain gear on.  It sucks for sure, but I will keep getting out there and enduring it.  Oh yeah, and that getting old chit sucks too.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »

Hang in there young man...... >:( >:( >:( :D ;) it gets worse!!!! :'( :'( :'( :P :P ::) That front just hit here at 3:30 pm :o :D ;) :) no rain YET>>>>......
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »

That brought back some memories... :) Then it blew through Dallas about 3:30 this afternoon. Not much rain, but the wind was strong.

Gettin' home cold, exhausted, beaten down and soaked to the bone. It was definitely easier in earlier years. I dread the next one, but I'll bet it'll find me.

It's rough when Mother Nature is ridin' biotch!
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »

I'll be glad when it hits here. I'm tired of sweating.

And yes, getting old does suck. Consider yourself lucky, I'm old and fugly.  ;D

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »

It blew through here at 6 pm this eve, lol Wasn't but about 25-30 mph past us.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal