Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where's the BEEF!!??  (Read 1422 times)

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Where's the BEEF!!??
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »

I remember being told once that Texas chili was made with chopped beef steak instead of ground hamburger.

Was I told wrong?

Coming from a family that is four time Texas state chili cookoff winners (back in the 80's), I can tell you this much..

If you are making competetive chili, then yes, you cube beef by hand. We used the toe of a well marbled brisket and flank steak. Just like any respectable Southern cook, the secret is low and slow. We would cook a pot of chili upwards of 20 hours. The beef would fall apart like good Carne Guisada. You gotta have the cubes NO BIGGER than 3/8". Real quick sear (like 700 degree flame for 30 seconds each side. No oil). Then put it in the crock pot and let her be. And for God's sake, keep those damn beans away from the chili :banghead: . We don't use filler here, only beef!! And the only thing to properly serve chili over is the bottom of the bowl. :lunch: .

Now if you are making just a regular pot of chili, use a good 80/20 ground sirloin. Be sure and only drain 1/2 of the grease. Grease is gooooood...

And pour a beer in your chili... ALWAYS!! :flag:
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

Quick-Silver

• Old Timer
  • Canyon Lake, Tx
Re: Where's the BEEF!!??
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »

What ViciousNoob just said except sometimes I like to substitute beef with fresh venison.  Cook it down until it's so thick it stands up when you plop a spoonful down on a plate.  Then dive in with a tablespoon in one hand and a handful of jalapeƱo cornbread in the other hand.

Ain't today a great a great day for chili?
Jerry Maler
07 Honda GL1800 Goldwing - Silver
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal